me-now

This is me-now, Josh Krikke on Blogger. I hope you enjoy my reflections.

Friday, September 23, 2005

I was amazed today when the members in my Evaluation in Learning group exchanged information for our presentation and I walked away with no papers in my hand. Surely, I realized, we have reached an age in computer technology where print is on the out and digitized files are on the in.
In my opinion, integration of technology in the classroom is of utmost importance for upcoming teachers in the profession. I will share with you good integration strategies, bad integration strategies, and barriers associated with technology integration in the classroom.
Proper technology integration in the classroom is that used as a tool for authentic learning. In authentic learning, technology is used as a tool where right and wrong answers are less important, and student inquisition and investigation leading to critical thinking is most important. Perhaps teachers ought to relax while integrating computer technology in the classroom, for students do learn by following their curiosity. It is the teacher's position to initiate wonderings in their students. As an upcoming teacher, I ought to let students have time on computers so they feel comfortable with them and then implement interesting assignments like comparison studies with other schools in the world, collaborating with other teachers to do joint projects, and saving files in archives for upcoming students to view. If school administration is committed to updating curriculum so that consistent use of technology is integrated from grade to grade, students and teachers would be able to implement computer technology in their learning.
Improper technology integration in the classroom is teaching that models how to use computers without allowing students to discover these skills. So often, ill-prepared teachers use computer technology to "kill time" in their classrooms, rather teachers ought to develop creative methods and strategies for using technology in the classroom. I believe students will be excited and interested in joining blog groups or in conferencing with other students around the world and all this interaction is on the tips of our keyboard bound fingers! Teachers may be trained in certain software programs but so often these skills are not finding their way into the classroom. This inefficiency is a great waste of time for professional development.
Some of the barriers to technology integration in the classroom are teachers (like me!) with low computer self-efficacy. Studies have shown that teachers with confidence in working with computers are more apt to implement their skills in the classroom. However, do not fear those who are computer disabled! (like me!) A teacher need only be a facilitator of technology in a classroom, not a computer programmer who can hack into any mainframe. The idea that one who integrates computers in the classroom must be a computer mastermind is another barrier to computer integration.
Clearly, computer integration in the classroom is of utmost importance. I can say for myself that practice makes perfect in many areas in life and in my experience, once I learn a software program, I gain confidence quickly and my trust in computer technology increases. As for today, I am not so scared to walk away from a group project meeting with no information in my hands. I just check my email and all the information my group members mailed me is at my viewing disposal. The times they are a changin' and I, for one, see the need to keep up.

1 Comments:

At September 26, 2005, Blogger Jeff Meadows said...

Josh,

Good to see that your perceived lack of techno savvy is not deterring you at all.

You have identified some great points with respect to good and bad integration examples.

Well done,

Jeff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home